Work Permit ExemptionsWork permits are intended to protect employment opportunities in the Isle of Man. But with skill shortages and certain occupations in demand, the Department for Enterprise has created the below list of exemptions for work permits.
Not everyone has to apply for a work permit, as they may fall into the exemptions category. Check out the full list of conditions below which could apply to a work permit exemption:
- Certain employments in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and e-business
- Holders of an immigration employment document.
- Exemptions that the Department considers are in the national interest (see section 2.3 of 'Guide to Work Permits')
- Certain Crown employments
- Diplomatic employment
- Police and related employments (members of the Isle of Man Constabulary will no longer be exempted from 1 August 2017 onwards)
- Judicial, court and tribunal employments
- Senior public service appointments, including Departmental Chief Executives, the Chief Constable, and Chief Fire Officer
- Employment as a minister of religion or as a lay worker with a religious body
- Registered medical practitioners
- Registered dentists
- Secondary school teachers
- Registered nurses or midwives
- Registered social workers
- Employment in a vessel or aircraft
- Chief Officers of an international group
- Voluntary workers for charities and statutory bodies, (not private employers).
- Self-employment of a purely cultural nature
- ertain Commercial travellers
- Employment in some businesses being established in the Island as a branch or subsidiary of a business carried on elsewhere. Details outlined in the 'Guide to Work Permits' 2.4.15
- Some temporary employments
Register of Exempt Persons
The employer of an exempt person must, within 14 days of the employee starting employment, provide the following:
- the name, business address, telephone number and email address (if any) of the employer
- the employer's industry or economic sector
- the exempt person's full name
- the person's national insurance number
- the person's job title and occupation
Get in touch with the Locate team to find out if you could be exempt from applying for a work permit or to find out more.
Job Opportunities on the Isle of Man
The Isle of Man has many skills and occupations in demand which means you could be exempt from applying for a work permit. Check out the key areas the current job vacancies on the Island: